Section 504

MSAD 55 has a duty to locate, evaluate and identify any child residing in the District who qualifies for Special Education services or any child attending the public schools who may require Section 504 accommodations or services.

Children eligible for special education include those children with disabilities who have autism, deaf-blindness, emotional disturbance, hearing impairment, multiple disabilities, orthopedic impairment, other health impairment, specific learning disability, speech or language impairment, traumatic brain injury, acquired brain injury, visual impairment, or developmental delay and who, because of such an impairment, need special education services.

Children eligible for Section 504 accommodations or services include those children who have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity.

If you suspect your child has a disability and may need special education services or 504 accommodations, or if you would like additional information, please contact your child's teacher, or call the District's Special Education Director and 504 Coordinator, Ryan Fairchild at 625-7134.

Notice of Parent/Student Rights Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

The following is a description of the rights granted by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (“Section 504”) to parents and their children who are identified as disabled. The school district is obligated to inform you of decisions about your child and of your rights if you disagree with any of those decisions. You have the following rights:

  1. To have your child take part in, and receive benefits from, public education programs without discrimination because of his/her disability;

  2. To have the school district advise you of your rights under federal law;

  3. To receive notice from the school with respect to the identification, evaluation, educational program or placement of your child;

  4. According to the Department of Educationís 504 Regulations, to have your child receive a free appropriate public education. This includes the right to be educated with non-disabled students to the maximum extent appropriate. It also includes the right to reasonable accommodations, modifications, and related aids and services necessary for your child to benefit from his or her educational program.

  5. To have your child educated in comparable facilities and receive comparable services to those provided non-disabled students;

  6. To have decisions regarding your childís evaluation, program and placement based upon a variety of information sources, and made by persons familiar with the student, the evaluation data, and the placement options;

  7. To have your child re-evaluated periodically, to the extent necessary, including before any significant changes are made to your child's educational program or placement;

  8. To have your child receive an equal opportunity to participate in extra-curricular school activities;

  9. To examine all relevant educational records relating to decisions regarding your child's identification, evaluation, education program, and placement;

  10. To obtain copes of educational records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny you access to the records;

  11. To receive a response from the school district to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of your child's records;

  12. To request amendment of your child's educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe that they are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of your child. If the school district refuses this request for amendment, it shall notify you within a reasonable time, and advise you of the right to a hearing;

  13. To file a complaint through local complaint procedures regarding any alleged violation of the Rehabilitation Act;

  14. To request an impartial hearing, to be conducted by a person who is not an employee of the district, to dispute decisions or actions regarding your child's identification, evaluation, educational program or placement as a student with a disability. You and your child may take part in the hearing and have an attorney represent you at your own expense. Questions about how to request a hearing may be forwarded to the person responsible for the districtís compliance with Section 504 listed below;

  15. To have the decisions made by hearing officers or others reviewed in state or federal court.

The person in this District who is responsible for assuring that the District complies with Section 504 is: Jana Murphy K-12 District Wide 504 Coordinator 137 South Hiram Road Hiram, ME 04041 Phone: 625-7134 Email :